High availability and automatic failover in PostgreSQL on Kubernetes, On-premise and cloud using open source solutions.
PostgreSQL High Availability
Avinash Vallarapu (Avi) is currently working for Percona as a PostgreSQL Support Tech Lead. Before joining Percona, he worked for OpenSCG for 2.2 years as a Database Architect and for Dell as a Tech Lead for 9.8 Years. He has a vast experience in technologies like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and MongoDB. He is an avid Python and Golang developer. He has co-authored a book on PostgreSQL : Beginning PostgreSQL on Cloud and another book on MySQL is in progress.
He spoke at various PostgreSQL Conferences in the past including -
- PGCONF India - 2017 - Bengaluru, India.
- PGCON 2018 - Ottawa, Canada.
- Percona Live - PostgreSQL Track (2018) - Frankfurt, Germany.
His areas of expertise are PostgreSQL Training, Consulting and Migrations.
No video of the event yet, sorry!
*Title : High availability and automatic failover in PostgreSQL on Kubernetes, On-premise and cloud using open source solutions. *
- PostgreSQL is an advanced open source database that is completely community driven. Continuous development and performance improvements while maintaining a secondary focus on Oracle compatibility gave PostgreSQL a great market penetration. When a database server is deployed in production, we often wish to achieve several 9's of availability. Is that even possible with PostgreSQL ? What is the combination of tools that you could combine and implement to achieve High Availability (HA) and automatic failover in PostgreSQL ? How can we avoid data loss during such failover ? We'll address these questions and then some more in this talk.
*In this talk, we are going to discuss *
- 1. How the implementation of HA differs for each type of replication available in PostgreSQL.
- 2. How to combine HAproxy with etcd plus a detailed explanation of the RAFT Algorithm and HA using Patroni.
- 3. How to combine repmgr with keepalived to achieve HA.
- 4. HA solution built for PostgreSQL on kubernetes.
- 5. What are the tools and solutions that help you achieve automatic failover in AWS and other cloud-based environments.
- 6. How to avoid huge data loss during failover.
- 45 min
- PGConf India, 2019
- Database Administration