PostgreSQL Tutorial For Oracle And Mysql Dbas And Beginners
PostgreSQL Tutorial for Oracle DBAs and Beginners
Avinash Vallarapu (Avi) is currently working for Percona as a PostgreSQL Support Tech Lead. Before joining Percona, he worked for OpenSCG for 2.2 years as a Database Architect and for Dell as a Tech Lead for 9.8 Years. He has a vast experience in technologies like Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL and MongoDB. He is an avid Python and Golang developer. He has co-authored a book on PostgreSQL : Beginning PostgreSQL on Cloud and another book on MySQL is in progress.
He spoke at various PostgreSQL Conferences in the past including -
- PGCONF India - 2017 - Bengaluru, India.
- PGCON 2018 - Ottawa, Canada.
- Percona Live - PostgreSQL Track (2018) - Frankfurt, Germany.
His areas of expertise are PostgreSQL Training, Consulting and Migrations.
Jobin Augustine is a PostgreSQL expert and Open Source advocate and has more than 18 years of working experience as consultant, architect, administrator, writer, and trainer in PostgreSQL, Oracle and other database technologies. He has always been an active participant in the Open Source communities and his main focus area is database performance and optimization. He is a contributor to various Open Source Projects and is an active blogger and loves to code in C++ and Python. Jobin holds a Masters in Computer Applications and joined Percona in 2018 as a Senior Support Engineer. Prior to joining Percona, he worked at OpenSCG for 2 years as Architect and was part of the BigSQL core team, a complete PostgreSQL distribution offering. Previous to his work at OpenScg, Jobin worked at Dell as Database Senior Advisor for 10 years and 5 years with TCS/CMC.
Speaker at: postgresconf 2019 PerconaLive 2019 pgconf.Eu 2019
No video of the event yet, sorry!
This tutorial is focused on teaching PostgreSQL to professionals who are already experienced with Oracle or MySQL or SQL Server. Relational databases share a lot of similar concepts. You may find it easier when the concepts of PostgreSQL are related with Oracle/MySQL. Thus, I would start with PostgreSQL Architecture for Oracle/MySQL DBAs.
As we discuss from basics, even a beginner could adapt the concepts easily. It starts with an overview of the PostgreSQL architecture and a hands-on lab, helping the audience apply the concepts presented, starting with a simple and quick installation of PostgreSQL and going all the way to setup and maintain a standby (replica). By the end of this tutorial, attendees will have a good understanding of how PostgreSQL works and feel confident enough about it.
Following topics are covered in this tutorial.
- 1. Brief history of PostgreSQL and its features
- 2. PostgreSQL Architecture for MySQL/Oracle DBAs and beginners.
- 3. Installation of PostgreSQL
- 4. Creating/Start/Stop a PostgreSQL Cluster and the components of a Data Directory
- 5. PostgreSQL parameters/settings you need to know
- 6. PostgreSQL User Management
- 7. MVCC in PostgreSQL
- 8. VACUUM and Transaction ID Wraparound in PostgreSQL
- 9. Types of Indexes
- 10. EXPLAIN in PostgreSQL
- 11. Logical and Physical Backups
- 12. Types of Replication in PostgreSQL
- 13. Streaming replication and PITR (Point-in-time-recovery)
- 3 h 30 min
- PGConf India, 2020